Monday 16 September 2013

My Dorm Room

Well since I'm stuck inside you guys are getting two blog posts in one day. Lucky you! Although I'm not sure what happened to that typhoon...there's no wind or rain in sight now. The sun is even shining.

Today's second post is an update of my dorm room now that I have it more or less set up. I'd like to get a rug for the floor to disguise all the hair I'm leaving all over the place and some posters for the bare walls, but other than that I have pretty much everything I need for now.

We'll start with the hallway. This is what I see from my front door. Toilet and bathroom are on the left, kitchen on the right, and just past the kitchen is my wardrobe. I have to leave my bathmat in the hallway because the bathroom is designed to be a wet room, meaning EVERYTHING in the room gets wet when I have a shower. My bathmat is super fluffy though, so I don't mind stepping on it every time I walk down the hallway.


Next is the toilet. Pretty self-explanatory. The pink thing in the sink is a toilet cleaner. When you flush the toilet the tap runs so that you wash your hands and then that water fills the bowl.


Bathroom. Unfortunately the bathroom does't come equipped with a towel rack (yet the toilet does?). I bought a towel rack that attaches with suction caps, but guess what, the suction caps don't stick to the walls in the bathroom, or the door for that matter. I even bought some clear stickers which are made to go on the wall so that you can then attach the suction caps to the stickers, but the stickers wouldn't stick to the walls either. I gave up and just bought a hook for my towel. Future RUID residents take note, don't bother with suction caps in the bathroom (unless you're sticking them to the mirror). I now have a pile of discarded suction cap fixtures. The hooks I have above the bath are stuck there with sticky stuff, so hopefully that won't leave any marks on the walls when I leave.



Kitchen. I bought some double ended hooks from Daiso and hung them from the drying rack so that I could hang my cooking utensils. I'm still not entirely sure how the stove works, I just push the buttons and hope for the best...


Fridge/shelving. I swear I do have some real food hidden behind the junk. And as you can see I got my microwave, so now I can heat up my heatpack for my back/neck (which has saved me a million times now, my shoulders are so sore from carrying shopping bags all the time). Thanks to the boys who carried the microwave back from Ikebukuro for me.


Moving on to the bedroom. Here's my bed. I am SO SO SO glad that I ordered my bedding online. It's actually pretty comfortable, although I did have to buy a new pillow that's better for my neck. I've felt what some of the guys who rented the dorm bedding are sleeping on, and let's just say that you should only rent the bedding if you like sleeping on a rock.


My mirror that I ordered online from Rakuten. I think it only cost me about $30AU.


My desk. I bought the whiteboard from the Aeon department store for about $10AU. It's been really handy this past week. My room phone and lamp are hiding behind my laptop.


Shelving. My make up lives here rather than in the bathroom because it would get wet every time I had a shower if I kept it in there.


My balcony now that I've strung up my clothesline.


This is the view if I look left over the edge of my balcony. Some of the guys have seen a cat that sometimes hangs around there. I've yet to see it, but if I do I'll be adopting it as my own.


And that's it! Now I just have to try not hoard a tonne of junk while I'm here so it stays clean. I'm already running out of places to put things.

Anthea xx

No comments:

Post a Comment